Government of Jamaica

We aim to satisfy

Can I still get a birth certificate from the RGD, even though I lost the old one?

Yes as long as you were born and registered in Jamaica you can obtain a birth certificate by simply applying to the RGD for copies of the document.


How do I go about applying for a copy of my birth certificate?

You can apply for a copy of your birth certificate online or by visiting any one of our offices listed on the website.

For ease of processing, ensure that you have the following information for the person/child you are applying for:

  • Full and correct spelling of name
  • Sex (male/female)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth (name of hospital or location of home)
  • Parish of birth
  • Birth Entry Number
  • Full and correct spelling of Mother’s name
  • Full and correct spelling of Father’s name
  • Date of Registration
  • Place of Registration


What is the birth entry number?

The birth entry number is an alphanumeric code which identifies the registration of a person’s birth.  This code is used to determine the Parish and District where the person was born.  It is normally located to the top left hand section of a birth certificate.


My child is almost two years old and is not registered how do I go about registering him?

It is recommended that a child be registered within 12 months of birth.  However, if this was not done, we recommend that you visit any one of the RGD offices and speak with one of our Customer Service Representatives who will guide you on the process involved to conduct a Late Registration. 


My child’s father ‘s name is not on her birth certificate, how do I go about adding it?

If both parents are not married to each other, the father’s name can be added to the child’s birth certificate by a process called STATUS. See application tab for details. 

If however both parents got married to each other after the child’s birth, the father’s name can be added to the child’s birth certificate by a process called RE-REGISTRATION. See application tab for details.  


My name is spelt incorrectly on my birth certificate, how can I correct it?

There are different procedures that can be used to correct your birth certificate if there is an incorrect spelling of your name. A Correction of Error or Late Entry of Name are be applicable options, but we recommend that you speak with one of our Customer Service Representatives for guidance on the correct procedure.

Please note that once the correction is made to the spelling of your name, this will be noted at the bottom of the new certificate.


How do I go about registering a death?

In the case of a death from natural causes the death must registered five days after the person has died. However you may send the Local District Registrar a written notice that the person has died along with the medical certificate of the cause of death received from the attending doctor within fourteen days after the death.

In the case of sudden and/or violent death contact the nearest police station if the person was not under a doctor’s care or if foul play is suspected. A post mortem or autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death .The police will issue an order burial (pink paper) this not a registration!!

Deaths are registered from:

  • Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death
  • Post Mortem Examination Report
  • Coroners Certificate of finding of Jury
  • Certificate of Coroner


What do I do when in response to my application I receive the certificate and I suspect that the information on it is “incorrect?”

  • You should return all the certificates that were printed and delivered to you.
  • A receipt will be issued to validate that you have returned all copies.
  • Internal checks will be done at our offices to determine whether or not the error was on the Agency’s part.
  • If the error was a fault of the Agency your certificates will be corrected, reprinted and delivered within 10 days at no cost to you.
  • If not, you will be required to do a Correction of Error. This corrects errors of fact such as place of birth, name and parents’ particulars.